The original recipe calls out for the tortillas to be rolled with the chicken & jack cheese inside, however due to laziness on my part (plus the fact that it doesn’t impact the taste any and is less messy, as well), I typically put it together as indicated below.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 2 (10 ounce) cans of green enchilada sauce (for those not fond of green chiles, cream of chicken soup may be used)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 pound jack cheese, cut into strips
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken (could use cooked/drained ground beef)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in skillet; add onion and chiles. Saute until tender.
- Blend the enchilada sauce and sour cream in a separate pan; heat until simmering.
- Dip tortillas into enchilada/sour cream mixture; let stand to soften.
- Layer bottom of 9x13” cake pan with tortillas until covered.
- Next add a layer of jack cheese, chicken and onion/chile mixture. Alternate tortilla layers with cheese, etc. until ingredients are depleted.
- Sprinkle top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until heated through.