Although “Penuche” is traditionally thought of in terms of a brown sugar based candy, this is actually a bar cookie with brown sugar.
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1” jelly roll pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar, nuts and vanilla.
- Blend in flour, soda and salt.
- Pour mixture into the pan and spread to fill the bottom.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE (unless you prefer “hards” to chews).
- Cut into bars. May frost top of cookies prior to cutting into bars.