This makes 4 to 6 servings and takes about 15 minutes to put together.
- 1¼ pound hash browns (may be frozen)
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup*
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) warm water†
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup bacon bits
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (or jalapeños)
- 4 slices well-cooked bacon
*If cream of onion soup is unavailable, may substitute cheddar cheese soup or cream of mushroom soup.
†To add a little more flavor/texture, I usually use 8 ounces of sour cream in place of the water.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix soup and water/sour cream.
- Add in hash browns, 1 cup of shredded cheese and all remaining ingredients (except bacon slices); combine well.
- Transfer to a 9X13 casserole dish, topping with remainder of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes and top with sliced bacon, if desired.