- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for serving
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large slices crusty hearth-baked country bread, sliced about 6 inches long and 1-inch thick
- 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and marjoram leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the tomatoes to release some of their juices.
Grill or toast the bread on both sides.
Place the grilled bread on individual plates and spoon the tomato mixture on top. Sprinkle with the basil and serve with extra olive oil for drizzling.