Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1½ tablespoons grated fresh peeled ginger root
- ½ teaspoon each ground allspice, cumin, and chili powder
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped (if unavailable, add another 1½ cups carrots)
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 18 ounces carrots, sliced (about 4-5 cups)
- ¼ cup brown basmati rice
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- One × 14-ounce can of reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup dried red lentils, washed
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add the ginger, allspice, cumin, chili powder, curry powder, and ground coriander. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add the vegetables, stir to combine, and cook for another 8 minutes. Add the lentils and rice and stir in, before adding the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the lentils have started to break down.
Blend half the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the rest of the mixture, and add the coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro. Heat through but do not let it boil again – this is important. Serve immediately.