- 1# ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 t brown sugar
- 2 t Worcestershire sauce, or Tamari sauce, or Liquid Aminos
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread, sandwich or hamburger variety
Spray a large nonstick skillet with skillet spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and celery, and cook until translucent. Add the ground turkey breast and mushrooms, and cook, breaking up the meat as it browns, about 5 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients except the bread. Simmer uncovered until the flavors are blended and the sauce is slightly thickened.
Spoon 1/2 cup of the mixture into each sandwich. Yields one sandwich per serving, and is 6 points in Weight Watchers, if served on thin sandwich rounds.
To dress up the “Joes”, top each sandwich with a handful of shredded carrots and/or lettuce.