Slow cooker: Medium or large round
Settings and cook times: HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours
- 1 # fresh sausage, such as turkey Italian sausage; or 1#smoked or fully cooked sausage, such as bratwurst, chicken apple sausage, or kielbasa
- 1/4 c water (if using fresh sausage)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 small bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- One 15-oz can red beans, such as small red or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15-oz can white beans, such as Great Northern, butter beans, or cannellini, rinsed and drained
- One 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1/4 c dry red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In an ungreased skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the sausage. If the sausage is smoked or fully cooked, slice and set aside. If fresh, add the water, cover, and cook until completely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a few minutes more. Let cool and slice.
Wipe out the skillet and warm the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring, until just tender. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time, check the consistency and cook with the lid off to thicken, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Serves 4 to 6