SERVES 6 PEOPLE.
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- 4 slices soy bacon (or real, if you want), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens
- 1/2 medium Bosc pear, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup halved seedless red grapes
In a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast cashews until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove cashews to a dish to cool slightly.
Return skillet to medium-high heat, cook bacon strips until crisp on both sides, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and soak up grease with a paper towel. Coarsely chop bacon, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together butter, rosemary, curry powder, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and toasted cashews. Set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together white wine vinegar, mustard, and honey. Slowly whisk in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
In a large salad bowl, toss dressing with greens, pear slices, grapes, and bacon, and sprinkle with nut mixture.
This recipe is based almost exactly on a recipe found on allrecipes.com. The dressing is just a little less punch-you-in-the-face-strong, and I use soy bacon. Yay!