- 1 pkg (8-1/2 oz) cornbread/muffin mix (or 1 recipe cornbread)
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- pinch rubbed sage
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1 c (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cans (15-1/4 oz each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 c chopped green pepper
- 1 c chopped green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked & crumbled (not necessary - good without!)
- 2 c (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
Prepare corn bread batter according to package or recipe directions. (My favorite recipe is on this website.) Stir in chilies, cumin, oregano and sage. Spread in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400º for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside.
Crumble half the corn bread into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in dish. Layer with half the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon (if used - or retain for optional topping) and cheese. Repeat layers (dish will be very full). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Yield: 12 servings.