Cook 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
Make the burger / hashbrowns
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 green onions, including white parts
- 1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil, butter, or bacon grease for frying
In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.
Measure 1/4 cup and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick - mixture will be slightly sticky. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.
If you like it, then you’ll shoulda put Tzatziki on it.