- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- A few dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed well in a strainer
- 4 cups hot cooked rice (from 1 cup raw rice)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic,and green pepper, and sauté until the pepper is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder and paprika, and cook 30 seconds. Mix in the tomato sauce, water, hot sauce, and kidney beans, and simmer about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and fragrant. Serve over rice with a small spoonful of sour cream on top, if desired.
Bonus: To give the beans a smoky flavor you can add 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Mince it on a small plate with 2 knives before adding it to the beans. Omit the hot sauce.
There are some good ideas here too.